If your Morgan County rental property is a little older, you may be thinking about attracting quality tenants. This is certainly relevant if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be difficult for an older home to compete against newer ones, particularly if it does not have some updates. Thankfully, there are various things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. To tell the truth, with a bit of time and not too much money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only allow you to attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of the best methods to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To help your rental’s interiors feel lighter, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with pops of bright color as accents. Just don’t go for too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is usually all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, try taking down one or more of them. Modern home design is more open-concept, with vast living areas that flow from space to space. Merely removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, for example, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a rapid upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a huge difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property still has a popcorn ceiling lurking inside, it’s time to remove it. Popcorn ceilings were famous at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Select a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another excellent choice to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as robust wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are not much more expensive in comparison with carpet and will most likely last much longer than carpet, anyway. Moreover, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the basis of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Unattractive or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look unpleasant. By merely replacing both with new, modern styles, you can improve the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also a great way for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, contributes significantly to the property’s curb appeal. Try replacing an old or outdated door with something new and fresh, especially in a bright, complementary color. An attractive door can bring the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. At last, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and so forth. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and assist in improving the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will love the convenience and savings, and you will love the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll probably get as a result.
Would you like to know more about quick and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management Northern Utah a call! Our Morgan County property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.